Be Alone. Eat alone, take yourself on dates, sleep alone. In the midst of this you will learn about yourself. You will grow, you will figure out what inspires you, you will curate your own dreams, your own beliefs, your own stunning clarity, and when you do meet the person who makes your cells dance, you will be sure of it, because you are sure of yourself.
What do you do when you are alone?
Not reaching for anything.
What do you reach for to avoid being alone with yourself? Maybe its…
- The Internet
- Your Cell Phone
- A Book
- An Addiction
- ________________(Fill in the blank)
It’s scary to think about… isn’t it?
You aren’t alone (no pun intended) in thinking that. I used to be scared of being alone as well.
There are 3 specific things I’ve learned from being alone over the past few years…
- Being fully present with someone is a special experience
- Love is selfless
- How to love myself (Still working on this one. I’m a work in progress)
I did not learn these things overnight…it took me many years to learn these things.
I am who I am today because I learned these things.
Challenge Yourself This Week:
- Next time you are with someone be fully present with them. Turn off your cell phone. If you are worried that something bad will happen when doing this you can always put your phone on “do not disturb mode” and fix it to where your phone will only ring if there is an emergency.
- Love without any attachment to an expectation in return. This can be a hard concept to grasp. Practice doing this and be compassionate toward yourself when doing so.
- Remember yourself as a little girl/little boy, she/he is counting on you to protect her/him.
Be Fervently Driven